Thursday, May 24, 2007

Secrets

I just got off the phone with my mom. She was telling me about my little brother (adopted from Russia). Evidently, she's finally finding out why he has white spots on his arms. After much hesitation he finally revealed to my mom that he would burn himself to raise money. Some boys would pay him around 5 rubles to burn his arms. He said that he did it twice because he needed the money (about $1) to buy food for his little sisters. Can you believe what some children have had to endure? It breaks my heart.

My biological sister and Elon with my two adopted sisters age 6 and 10. Aren't they precious and they really are the sweetest and most grateful children you will ever meet!

My adopted brother, age 12 with sister and Elon. Little sis. is jealous because she wants to be the one holding Elon. She's a natural mother!

3 comments:

Davene said...

Wow, this is powerful! We have a lot of adoption in our family...my parents adopted two children...my sister adopted two children...my brother adopted three children. Though all the situations were different, there was still a lot of pain in each one. It's so good to see the smiling faces of your little sibs!

New Mom said...

That is so awesome! I love to see families adopt. It is such a beautiful thing! Were they domestic or foreign? My husband and I were just completing our foster/adopt certification when I found out I was pregnant. We decided to postpone it for a while until I got accustomed to Elon. We still do want to adopt one day.
(BTW, my inlaws also adopted 3 Russian children.)

Davene said...

Hi, New Mom!

I was just looking back through your archives and happened to read this comment from you in response to my comment. I never replied to you...sorry!

My parents adopted one domestically and one internationally (well, if Puerto Rico counts as international!)...my sister adopted hers domestically (brother and sister)...and my brother adopted his internationally (2 brothers and a sister, from Guatemala). So it's a mixture!

I, too, would like to adopt some day. The problem for us now is that I favor international, and my husband favors domestic. What to do, what to do? :)

Anyway, for now, I'm just trying to get baby #3 here safe and sound, get adjusted to that, then see about adoption in the future!!! :)