Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Change In The Wind?

We've had some interesting things going on around here as of late. Some of you may know this already, but for the last few years, my husband has been exceedingly interesting in pursuing a career in film-making. All of the photography and mini-movies that I sometimes post are products of his self-teaching. At his job at the university, he has been given the opportunity to write and film documentaries aimed at informing the students of things such as deadlines, governmental financial aid, etc. He also does a lot of posters, brochures, etc.
One of Nathan's goals has been to attend Collins College located in Tempe, Arizona. However, the school is expensive (around $55,000 for 2.5 years) and since he already has a bachelor's degree, is male, straight, and white, he has practically no chance for financial aid. This goal has seemed pretty far off until now.


Last week, Nathan told me about a job opening up at Collin's College. If he applied and got the job, he would be able to attend school for free. In 2.5 years of full-time school with no summer breaks, he'd end up with a BS in cinematography. His schedule would go something like this:

8:00-5:00 JOB
5:00-10:00 SCHOOL for 4 days a week. I think they go for 4 weeks, take a one week break.

So you can see my dilemma. I will be moving out of state, leaving everything and everyone (I will have Marie, Elizabeth and their families' 45 min away), and Elon and I will rarely see Nathan. I keep asking myself, does the end justify the means? This could be Nathan's shot at film making.... or not. For me, I see 2.5 years of being by myself with Elon most days, lonely and possibly angry.... can I handle that? And can Nathan be a dad, husband, student, employee, and still have time for God?

He already had a preliminary phone interview, later this week should be his second interview. If you think about it, please remember our family, this is a really difficult decision. I don't want to get all worked up about, after all, he may not even get the job, but I do want to be ready in my heart if he does. God is the miscarriage, the lost job which led to really tight finances, the unaccepted offer on the house all leading up to this change???

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Honey, I'm in that boat right now. My husband works 8-5 and when he gets home is working on his MFA until midnight. I think we need to talk!!;-) Email me anytime!!

Mrs. Bonnie said...

Wow, that would be quite a move. Not quite sure what to say other than I'll be praying Gods will.
(and a perfectly clear answer)