Thursday, April 3, 2008

More Now...

Ok, here's what happened.

I let the 21 month old sit on the counter next to me {much like the picture taken here, except his legs were down} while I washed three bowls. The dad came in and saw him there, and a couple of hours later, he and the mother fired me.


Some of you may be questioning my judgement on letting the little boy sit there and to that I can only say, I thought he was perfectly safe. He is very calm and usually stays put wherever you put him! I can see why the parents wouldn't want me to do that though, and of course, I understand. I do feel, though, that I should have been talked to about the safety concern instead of outright fired.


Needless to say, I was very hurt and disappointed. I was a very good nanny, and with the exception of this incident, have never jeopardized their children's safety in any way. I treated the children as if they were my own, even better than my own {sorry Elon!} and was always on time/early, loving, and motivated to do above and beyond what was required of me. The family gave me no notice and no severance pay, they gave me nothing except criticism of my "common sense." They did, however, say that this did not mean that they didn't think I was a "good person."

I have a hard time believing that I cannot be trusted because I put the child on the counter. If I thought that he might fall and I couldn't catch him, I wouldn't have done it. I question the real motives behind my termination, as there were some other things going on {the mother hated her job and wanted to quit and move back to MI}. I find it hard to believe that both they and I are Christians and they were able to so coldly let go of a person who taught their children Bible stories, prayed with them, etc.

I welcome your comments, even if they are in agreement with my poor judgement.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it. I'm sorry it didn't work out. God always has a plan and you just have to know that it will all work out for your good. Maybe it was a little too perfect?!

Davene said...

I'm thinking, like you said, that there might be something else going on behind the scenes. It seems to me that if it was just one incident, they would have talked to you and said that they didn't want you to do that again, rather than firing you.

I know different families have different philosophies when it comes to risk for their children. Some baby-proof EVERYTHING, while some teach their children to respect boundaries. Some teach their children to peel carrots by 5 years of age; some wouldn't hand their child anything sharp until much older than that. Maybe you and this family have different mindsets about this stuff?

As hurt as you are probably feeling, I do think you can feel confident that you are an excellent caretaker. I hope your confidence is not shaken too much!

I'm so sorry this happened to you; but I'm reminded that, just like with the house you wanted to buy, God closes doors for reasons that only He can see at times.

Hang in there! It will be interesting to see what He brings you next!

New Mom said...

Thanks ladies. I'll admit I was very shaken up about it. It felt like I was a bad mom or something. Now I'm just mad. I just don't feel that they were being completely honest, that they took the easy way out.

Jaedan's mom-- boy was I upset to be fired from a job. I called my sils crying away! I've always had very good relationships with my employers ;}

Bonnie said...

I too agree that there is something a bit fishy about all this. If they were willing to trust a complete stranger with their children, something as simple as setting a child on the counter is a hardly a reason to fire them. I'm sorry you were hurt, and I'll be praying for a better job, or that some unknown relative makes you heir to their massive fortune ;0}