Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Unexpected Loss

If you think about it, please pray for some missionary friends, Brooke and Scott, who unexpectedly lost their 10 hour old baby due to a bacterial infection yesterday. They are devastated, and are also specifically requesting prayers for direction on where to go from here.




The incident reminded me that not to long ago, I was facing the same question, "Would my baby live or die?" I am so thankful that God allowed Elon to live. I look at this sweet couple and question why their baby died and mine lived. I'm sure we both begged God not to take our babies; I'm sure they prayed with all the fervency a mother and father can feel, just as we did. Of course, I don't know the answer-- trying to figure life out is so confusing at times; I am so glad that I don't have to. I have a Father who is wise and just, who is loving and fair. I can trust in these characteristics of God and know that I need not feel disheartened or forsaken. We see through a glass dimly, thankfully, He knows in full. One day we will see Him face to face, along with all of our precious babies who have gone before us.

4 comments:

Davene said...

I will pray for them. What a difficult road to walk. Was there no sign of infection when the child was born, and then it just came on suddenly?

New Mom said...

Although I am unsure of all the details, here is what I do know:

Brooke went in for a scheduled C-section because they baby was already too big for a vaginal delivery. Soon after the c-section they found Andrew had a bacterial infection that had been transferred from the womb {I wonder if it was a strep b bacteria? my friend couldn't understand that much of what Brooke was saying because she was hysterical}. He was airlifted to another hospital in Houston with a 50/50 chance of survival, a couple hours later he went to heaven.

I say unexpected because Brooke went into the hospital giddy with excitement over bringing home a baby boy. I think that would be one of the hardest parts-- to go in with so much joy, the culmination of 9 months of happy anticipation-- only to leave with such empty-handed disappointment.

Anonymous said...

"God is to kind to be cruel and to wise to be mistaken. And when we can't trace his hand, we must trust his heart."

This quote brings me great comfort when I am on the outside looking in. But I cannot imagine how I would find peace or comfort in that situation. My prayers are with them.

Davene said...

Thanks for the additional info. I agree with you about how hard it would be to be excitedly looking forward to a new baby and then--bam--have that kind of loss. I can hardly imagine. There must be so many reminders of the pain as they look around their home and see all the things they've prepared for him. My heart goes out to them.