Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A Little or A Lot...

Ok, I am definitely not a financial guru. But if I was asked to give one piece of advice to engaged or newly wed couples it would be this: Learn to live off of one income.
I wish so badly that I would have followed this advice since the beginning of my marriage. If I would have, being unemployed would definitely not be the serious issue that it is right now. For one thing, all of the years that we were a two-income family would have meant a nice savings account. Secondly, since we were living as if we only had one income, we wouldn't have bills that required both of us to work-- namely our big rent payment. What a lot of heartache we would have been saved!

Unfortunately, this is a lesson learned the hard way. I've never wanted a house that we could afford solely by using Nathan's income. I wanted the house in my preferred neighborhood. Our next house will be something that we can afford off of Nathan's salary, our cars--the same, everything, including cell phones, internet, whatever-- will only be paid for with his salary. Hmmm... I'm seeing a small apartment with dial-up internet in our near future ;p



Better is a little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and
turmoil with it.
Better is a dish of vegetables where love is than a fattened ox served with hatred.
Proverbs 15:16-17


Actually, I am praying that the Lord would have mercy on us. Forgive our foolishness and allow us to stay put. I'm tired of moving!

1 comment:

Davene said...

So much wisdom in this post!!!

I'm so grateful that from the beginning of our marriage, Jeff supported me 100 percent in my desire to be a stay-at-home mom after our children were born. We've definitely had to cut corners to do it, but it's been worth every bit of sacrifice.

I do hope that all of this--job, finances, etc.--works out beautifully for you.