Sunday, November 23, 2008

Road Trip!

This weekend, Nathan, Elon and I took my brother, Matt, on a road trip to see Grand Canyon West, Las Vegas, and Hoover Dam. We had so much fun and the views of the canyon were STUNNING. I could just imagine what the discoverers of the Grand Canyon must have felt like coming upon it for the first time. What an awesome Creator we have! Sadly, Matt left this morning. I am sure Elon and I will be having withdrawals by this time tomorrow :0(

The new bridge they are building at Hoover Dam... it's a long way down from there!

Angel Over Hoover Dam


All the bright lights made my camera go cuckoo. Suffice it to say that even CVS sported blingage. The only one that turned out is this of the beautiful Venetian.

Are we there yet?

Yes! Finally, we arrive at the Grand Canyon!

Matt, standing a little too close to the edge for my comfort.

This is as close to the edge as I'm getting!

An obsolete Guano mining facility.

The Grand Canyon West is owned by the Hualapai Indians.

Elon enjoyed exploring the Indian village.

We enjoyed majestic views of the Colorado River.

The only way Elon could see the canyon was atop Nathan's shoulders. There were dropoffs EVERYWHERE and a view not marred by guardrails!

The amazing Eagle Mountain spreads it's wings.
We were surprised that we had to pay for a mandatory tour, parking, and even a $9 fee! It was $120 for us three to walk around the Grand Canyon and an additional $11 per person for food and water since no outside beverages of snacks could be brought in. I will have to say though, that Grand Canyon West was beautiful and worth every penny!

Pregnancy Update:
I went in for an ultrasound on Thursday. While I still have that pesky blood clot, and it appears to have gotten larger, the baby was growing fine and was measuring at 13 weeks. Yay, I'm one week closer to holding that precious bundle than I thought! Then I watched as the baby jumped, throwing his/her hands in the air! It was amazingly clear-- I could see the baby's head, body, arms and legs, even fingers! And the sonographer said she thought she saw a little something extra sticking out as well! Looks like Elon may have a partner in crime-- keep me in your prayers-- I'm going to need all the energy I can muster to keep up with TWO boys! However, the sonographer did tell me not to go out and purchase all blue-- yet! If you think about it, please pray that God would cause this clot to absorb so I can resume normal life and not have to worry!

5 comments:

Davene said...

I loved this whole post! It brought back so many memories of my first trip to the Grand Canyon; I had the same thoughts as you about what it must have been like to discover that. Hard to even comprehend!

I didn't know they're building a new bridge at Hoover Dam. One of my nephews worked at Hoover Dam for a while.

Isn't Vegas amazing? Obviously there is "the dark side" there in force, but still enough decent entertainment and amazing beauty to make a trip worthwhile. I always enjoyed just walking around and taking in the sights.

You look great!!! It's good to read that your ultrasound went well and baby is growing like "he" should! From personal experience, I can tell you that two boys together is a beautiful thing. :) But if yours turns out to be a girl, that'll be OK, too. ;)

Have a great Thanksgiving week!

Arlene said...

I don't think I've ever been to the Grand Canyon -- although, as I was born into a military family that has traveled to nearly all 50 States, it is possible I was just too young to remember, lol! Anyway, your pictures turned out beautifully!

BTW, I seriously didn't see any belly in those pics,so you shouldn't worry that you're getting huge or anything like that. :o) *hugs*

Judith and Lance said...

You look so good. I hope to take Bella to the Grand Canyon one day. Elon is SO cute too

Melissa said...

It looks like y'all had a great trip! I've always wanted to see the Grand Canyon.

Congrats on expecting a little one! I'm so excited for you! You look great! Keep us posted!

Judith and Lance said...

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I haven't really eaten any NC for for Thanksgiving, but I've eaten Lexington BBQ and only drank sweet tea the entire time I've been here. I've also eaten Chic fil A quite a few times b/c we don't have it in Mnpls.