Monday, June 22, 2009

Catching Up...

On May 17th, I began having contractions {again} every 3 minutes. I laid there for a few minutes before waking up Nathan. Because of the prior 2 false alarms, he suggested that I lay there a bit longer to be certain that I was in labor. Three minutes later I was exclaiming, "lets go, NOW!" No doubt about it, this was the "REAL" deal. All the way to the hospital I huffed, and puffed, and panted-- half laughing in between contractions at the 2 year old in the back seat mocking me. Every time I groaned, Elon groaned. I would hit the window or arm rest in pain, and he would hit the window or the side of his carseat. I wish I could've captured that on video!

We arrived at the hospital at 5a.m. and they quickly moved me into a delivery room, only to have me wait a couple of hours for the doctor to show! Thank heavens, I had the epidural-- Scottsdale might have been minus one doctor had I had to wait through that pain! Those contractions turn a girl from sweet Snow White to the Incredible Hulk! Pretty soon I began to feel the urge to push, but my water hadn't broke. I told the nurse that I was "getting ready to have this baby" and her know-it-all answer was "no you're not, not yet." A minute later my water broke, a minute after that the doctor arrived, and 5 minutes and 2 contractions later, Asher arrived! He was born at 9:54am.

Cradling my just born baby against my chest reminded me that this is what childbirth is supposed to be like-- full of joy and awe, not disappointment and fear. I felt so blessed that I couldn't help but weep at the beauty of my precious son.

Family came and helped make the transition from one child to two SO much easier. I don't know what I would have done without their help! {Thanks Pam, Mom, Amanda, and Tessie!} Now I am on my own again, and slowly getting adjusted to our new routine and late night feedings! I cannot wait to discover more about my little Asher as each day he grows and changes.


Bonnie said...

Yeah, I'm not big on the I'm-the-doctor/nurse/mid-wife- I-know-best answers. Braden told them I move quick once I hit 8 cm. Less than 5 minutes later we had Rachel!

I'm glad it went so quickly, but- where was Elon after you got to the hospital? Or did I miss that part of the story?

Can't wait to see more pictures of the little guy(s)!

New Mom said...

Mrs. Bonnie,
luckily my sil lives just a couple minutes away from the hospital. she met me there and took elon. i was having nightmares of me having contractions while trying to get elon to put down the medical equipment!

Bonnie said...

Oh good! When my 3rd sister was born (she was also my moms fastest delivery, less than 2 hours after she got to the hospital), my dad took all of us straight to the hospital. Now I was 12, and perfectly capable of looking after the other 4 until my grandma arrived, but it was still a bit of a challenge.