Sunday, July 8, 2007

Celebrating Seven Years

For our anniversary this year, we decided to take Elon with us to go up to Seven Falls, Colorado. The journey took us on a very arduous adventure. It was 180 feet of stair climbing to reach the top of the falls!

At first glance I thought, "No big deal, I can do this." Boy was I wrong! It was a big deal... about half way up, I thought I was going to faint! A combination of exertion, fear, and altitude was making me very dizzy. (There were a lot of women feeling the exact same way, and some men too!) I could see the panic in the other tourists eyes as we all slowly plodded up the steps. Some couldn't handle it and turned to go back down.

I was mostly worried about Elon riding on Nathan's back. He gets excited and wants to bend over the side of the backpack so he can see. As you can imagine, every horrific accident possible was flashing through my mind so I was very relieved when we made it safely up the steps without incident... until I found out that there was only one way back down... the dreaded stairs again!!!



Half of the stairs we climbed to get to the top of the falls.


One of the small falls. (Unfortunately, Elon was so taken with the gurgling stream that we could not get a picture of his face.)



Like father, like son!



A 450 year old pine.


The end of the largest waterfall.


As we were having our picnic supper, this little guy came right up to us. He was a hungry little fella'.


After a brief prayer of safety, we plodded back down the stairs in time to have our picnic while watching Native Americans perform a few of their traditional dances. Thankfully, coming down was much easier. The trails and waterfalls were beautiful and I was so proud to have overcame my fear of heights and climbed that mountain! We had a wonderful, and very adventurous anniversary!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

happy anniversary!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
New Mom said...

Thanks everyone!

Melissa said...

Happy Anniversary! It looks like ya'll had a fun, and adventous time! You're a lot braver than I would have been!

Davene said...

Seven Falls for seven years--how appropriate! Planning for Eight Falls next year? :)

That picture of the stairs makes ME nervous just looking at it. Good for you that you conquered your fears and made it!

And thanks for the link in your blogroll. :)