Monday, September 29, 2008

Lots of Goings On...

I talked to my doctor today and I have decided to wait until Wednesday to be seen by a female, instead of taking up her offer of seeing her male counterpart. I know what you're thinking... male ob-gyns see women everyday and I am nothing new-- what can I say, I'm still too embarrassed! Meanwhile, the cramps have lessened and I am drinking more water. I realized that the day I started with the cramping I had only had one cup of water and some dr. pepper. Shame on me-- I should be cramping.

Enough about that! I know we should all be content with whatever gender God chooses, but I am so hoping for a girl! Some of you have seen half of her already purchased wardrobe, which is really just the tip of the wardrobe iceberg. {None-the-less, I will also be overjoyed if God chooses to give me another stalwart son, though he may be wearing pink until I get over the shock...}
In other news, we are in week 4 of our foster care training; 4 weeks down, 8 more to go until we have a new little boy or girl to welcome into our home! We are so excited about finally taking the leap and committing ourselves to becoming foster parents. We've been through this process before, only the last time we didn't complete it because I found out I was pregnant with Elon. Both Nathan and I were a little too anxious about having our first child to feel that we could adequately take on a foster child as well. That, and we were both working-- not my ideal situation for welcoming both a brand new baby and a foster child.



This time, we have decided to go forward with the foster care process. By the time this baby is born, we should have had the foster child for about 4 months. Hopefully, that will be long enough for us to get used to each other, identify some of the strengths and needs of our little foster child, and figure out any potential harmful behaviors he/she may exhibit. We want to be aware of those things before introducing him or her to our very vulnerable baby. Foster parenting can be a little intimidating, what with the possibility of false accusations, aggressive behaviors, or sexual acting out. We've had to take all of these things into consideration when deciding to expose Elon to a foster child in our home; I don't mean that in a degrading way-- only that bringing in any child who is a stranger has the potential to expose our kids to any number of things. We've already been made aware that most of the children in foster care have suffered sexual abuse. We are trusting God to take care of us all, to send us a child that we can help, and that He will prepare his/her heart to receive our love and care. I know that He will give us whatever strength we need to fulfill this task!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am so glad the cramping has stopped Himicle!

Call me when you have a chance. I called today and on Saturday, but I don't know if you still have your cell phone.

:)

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how stressful this pregnancy must be on you and Nathan I am praying for you.

I am also very excited that you are going to become foster parents. It is such a huge commitment and one that is so important to so many children. It makes me happy to now that kids who are in need have good people willing to open their hearts and homes to them. Wish I had the courage to do the same. If it's my calling God will change my heart I guess...

P.S. I hope it's a girl too!

Me said...

Congratulations on the coming foster child and the coming baby! I am hoping to get to the post office this week to send your books out! And, yes, I'll gladly put up the archives. Thanks for letting me know that is useful.
I noticed with each pregnancy that I had more and more crampy feelings in the beginning. I just blamed it on my uterus protesting having to stretch out again! I'll be praying everything goes well for you!
Blessings,
Hannnah

Davene said...

I'm just now getting caught up on your blog after being away for a while because of my mother-in-law's visit.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy for you! I do know how the extra anxiety can creep in during the beginning of a pregnancy after miscarriage. I'll pray for you for perfect peace to guard your heart and mind, and for God's hand to rest gently on the little one you carry!

Second, how wonderful about becoming a foster parent! I take my hat off to you. Jeff and I have talked about making that step, but aren't quite ready to dive in. I'll be eager to hear how it all goes for you!