Friday, August 13, 2010

Tortillas and Sopapillas...

These past couple of weeks, I have tried my hand at making a couple of new mexican breads.  I didn't take pictures of the sopapillas, but let me assure you, they were puffy, chewy, and delicious!  Sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and then drizzled with honey-- mmm, MMMM!

Nathan loved the tortillas; however, I thought that they were just a bit better than store-bought-- perhaps not enough to entice me to go through the mixing and rolling and grilling again.  Next time I will try the refridgerated uncooked tortillas from the store and see how they stack up against my homemade.


I really don't enjoy cooking, but I love to experiment with baking.  Cooking is a chore (how ungrateful I am when there are so many around the world who would LOVE to have a pantry full of good food to cook-- forgive me!)  Baking on the other hand, is a relaxing way to make the house feel homey and cozy.  It makes me nostalgic and my mind wanders to what it must've been like a long time ago, simpler times where a chocolate cake put everything to rights!  Maybe that's why I love to have a chocolate cake on the counter :)

Anyway, try this recipe for sopapillas-- 15 minutes to ooey, gooey, sweet cinnamon satisfaction!

 Real Sopapillas courtesy of allrecipes.com

Ingredients:


4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons shortening
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 quarts oil for frying

Directions:

In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and shortening. Stir in water; mix until dough is smooth. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.  (many commenters stated that they didn't wait the whole 20 minutes.)

Roll out on floured board until 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 3 inch squares. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

2 comments:

Katheryn said...

Okay, I was just telling Bret how much I love a good sopapilla, so I will definitely give this one a try. Hope you and the boys are doing well.

New Mom said...

Yes Katheryn, if you like sopapillas, you must try this recipe and let me know whatcha think. It is sooo easy!