Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I Found The Lily In My Valley

Most of you know I am a Southerner. Living in the west, I miss the south so much! More so because I lived in a very old-fashioned area. For most people that I know, where I lived would be like another world to them. I lived in a county that will soon be federally recognized as a Lumbee Indian Reservation. It is rich with a culture that is reminiscent of 70 years ago. We love to eat fat-back, collards, and fried green tomatoes. A window is a "windy" and you don't sit, you "sot." Where there are still old-fashioned camp meetings, folks fall on their faces before the Lord, run the aisles, and could otherwise care less what anyone thinks of their worship! I miss it all so much... especially the music.


One old song that I like is I Found The Lily In My Valley by Quinton Mills, a Native American from the Haliwa-Saponi tribe and fellow North Carolinian! A former drug addict who has now reached thousands with the gospel.

4 comments:

Davene said...

Girl, you're from the REAL South. I must be from the fake South. :) I love the fact that you embrace that part of your culture!

Anonymous said...

I know now more than ever how hard it must be for you to be so far away. I too grew up with faces on the floor and dancing in the aisles during worship. I wonder what it is that has stopped so many from letting go and giving it all to him? We often used the term drunk in the spirit. Have you ever heard of that?

New Mom said...

Yes Saretta, I have heard the term and also experienced first-hand what it means. I've heard others criticise pentecostals for things like falling on the floor etc. But I have seen people be changed forever after rolling on that floor for a while!

Judith and Lance said...

OH how I'm missing NC w/ you, Hilmice. I know, it's so hard being gone from there!